17 August 2009

An Introduction to Self-RW

If you want to write, you must read. And that’s not just an axiom of life, referring to basic reading and writing skills. Anyone who aspires to be a writer, must first be a reader. Now, I wouldn’t call myself a “writer” (I hardly put enough effort into it), but I do enjoy writing. More precisely, I enjoy telling stories. I have all sorts of ideas floating around in my head, and when the right mood strikes me, I actually manage to “put pen to paper”, as it were, to transcribe these stories.

It’s a good thing, then, that I also enjoy reading. I’ve always enjoyed reading, ever since my grade school days. I may not have been a truly voracious reader, but I did borrow my fair share of books from the school library. As I grew older, I also borrowed books from friends, and bought an occasional copy from bookstores. Unfortunately, my reading habits tend to wax and wane, as I don’t buy nearly as many books as avid readers do.

Still, I continue to read, trying on different genres and media. And writing excites me still.

This blog intends to chronicle my adventures in reading and writing, and I hope it will inspire me to keep writing. I chose the name for this blog because it represents both what I hope to accomplish and my philosophy on the issue. I Read and I Write, and both I do for myself, to explore and to grow. And I am fully aware that what I Read influences and shapes me, while what I Write reveals me.

1 comment: